“Communication and media are central to promoting sustainable development and democracy. The right to freedom of expression underpins a free, pluralistic, inclusive and independent media environment as well as freedom of information” (UNESCO, 2017)
Latin America21 is a journalistic platform dedicated to political, economic and social issues about Latin America. It has consolidated itself as a collaborative, independent and pluralistic environment that advocates the dissemination of content that reflects regional developments.
With the aim of fostering development, democracy and dialogue for a culture of peace and non-violence, we seek to promote freedom of expression in line with the objectives of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Communication for Development and the United Nations Agenda 2030. In addition, we seek to promote a space for our own analysis and an autonomous point of view about the different Latin American realities.
Due to the nature of the project, its main objective is to build an enabling environment to support public access to the diversity of voices and to improve the capacity of citizens to make a critical and pluralistic judgment on economic, political and social issues in Latin America.
Latinoamérica21 was founded in January 2017 by the Uruguayan journalist Jerónimo Giorgi and currently our team is composed of about more than 100 specialists and academics from the fields of political science, sociology, economics and journalism.
The diversity of origins and points of view of our collaborators seeks to promote a plural environment and greater gender equity, as well as more inclusive communication that encourages the participation of minorities. However, the opinions expressed in the articles always represent the personal vision of the authors and not that of the project as a whole.
The articles produced by Latin America21 deal with Latin American socio-political issues that may be related to the current situation of a country, a sub-region or Latin America as a whole, and are aimed at a regional or extra-regional reader interested in the Latin American reality. The texts, in turn, are published in renowned newspapers in the region and are published in Latin America21 in Spanish, Portuguese, and English.
The main objectives of Latinoamérica21 are:
1.To support the development of the media and access to information in Latin America, promoting intercultural dialogue, a culture of peace and non-violence.
2. To promote collaboration with free, independent and pluralistic media, which guarantee the safety of journalists, protect cultural and natural heritage, seek to strengthen systems of governance for culture and seek to realize fundamental freedoms.
3. To contribute to the promotion of freedom of expression, democracy and human rights in the region.
4. To produce content on Latin America in different formats prepared by academics and experts.
5. To distribute our own and external content to various global media.
6. To serve as a meeting point and exchange of ideas among academics, specialists, students and others interested in the region.
7. To build an autonomous space for reflection and analysis on the Latin American reality.
8. To promote knowledge and scientific research on Latin America at a regional and global level.
9. Promote the use of Big Data and data journalism, producing and publishing quality data on Latin America.
What we do?
Inform about the political, economic and social reality of Latin America through opinion articles, analyses, books and other products produced by our team of collaborators.
Strengthen freedom of expression, human rights, equality and democracy in Latin America.
Connect academics, specialists, and a general audience interested in Latin American affairs.
Disseminate the contents of Latinoamérica21 to encourage the analysis of the regional reality.
Promote events of analysis and debate on the Latin American reality, as well as academic publications and other content that address regional issues.